Saturday, March 12, 2011

Open Letter to President Obama

Dear Mr. President

4 years ago, I was filled with hope.  When I learned of you, I saw a man of convictions who would do the right thing regardless of political fallout. With hope in hand, I campaigned for you, donated to your campaign, defended you and debated countless people about the benefit of getting you into the White House.  When you were inaugurated, I was filled with pride.

That was 4 years ago.  As a Libyan American who just returned from Libya, I find myself in the position of wishing McCain was our leader.  With regards to Libya, he has proven himself a leader.

Mr. President, I saw with my own eyes the death, torture and heartache that is happening in Libya.  Each day that passes, Gaddafi kills more and more Libyans while you carry on pondering options.  I am not even talking about military options, which while I am not a military expert, I am confused by the talk of complexity, being that Ronald Reagan successfully bombed Gaddafi into submission in 1986.  I am talking of real moral support that requires no risk to American lives or wealth.  Recognize the Transitional National Council, a group of outstanding Libyan citizens that have a stated goal of a free democratic Libya that respects human rights. This is not only good for Libya, but for America too, after all, Gaddafi has on mumereous occasions killed American citizens (Pan Am, Germany, Austria and numerous other instances).  By continuing to ignore the National Council as the legitimate governing organization of Libya (we Libyans recognize it), you are by default continuing to recognize and legitimize Gaddafi, contrary to your statements that he must go.  When your Secretary of State says we must have the UN leading the effort, which we all know will never happen, your government is only encouraging Gaddafi, who is crazy but not ignorant to world inaction.

Mr. President, 4 years ago I was filled with hope.  Today, I plan to go support the people of Libya and with me I carry a message that real support from the U.S. is hopeless.

A man who loves America and Libya as you would love a father and mother,
Tareq

No comments:

Post a Comment